Sheikh Khalifa Ezzat: biography
Sheikh Khalifa Ezzat (born 11 July 1974) is the Head Imam (prayer leader) and Head of Religious Affairs at the Islamic Cultural Centre since 2008. In this role, he also serves as the Khateeb (sermon deliverer) for the Jumuah (Friday). afternoon prayers.
Before his current post, he served as Imam at the Islamic Cultural Centre (also known as the London Central Mosque) between 2005 to 2008. Prior to this, he served as Imam and Khateeb in the Ministry of Awqaf in Egypt in the years 2001 to 2005. Between 1999 and 2004, he was translator at Dar Assalam publishing house in Cairo.
For his education, he started studying at the Al-Azhar Prep School followed by the Al-Azhar Secondary School. He then enrolled at the Al-Azhar University College of Islamic Studies in English where he studied between 1995 and 1998. Whilst living in London and while working at the ICCUK, he read a Master’s degree at the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS).
Sheikh Ezzat is responsible for having translated a number of books from Arabic into English. They are listed below:
1. Freedom of Belief in Islamic Law [Abdullah Nasih ‘Ulwan]
2. Islam and Love [Abdullah Nasih ‘Ulwan]
3. Islam and sex [Abdullah Nasih ‘Ulwan]
4. Islam – the Law of Life [Abdullah Nasih ‘Ulwan]
5. Salah Ad-Din [Abdullah Nasih ‘Ulwan]
6. ALLAH [Sa‘id Hawwa]
7. The Messenger
8. Misconceptions about Islam [Ministry of Awqaf of Egypt]
9. Human Rights and Racial Discrimination in Islam [Abdul-Aziz Al-Khayat]
10. Al-Mustakhlas fi Tazkiyat An-Nafs [Purifying the Human Soul] [Sa ‘id Hawwa – editing]
11. Hajj and ‘Umrah [by Esam Anas and revised by Dr. Ali Gom’ah]
12. Forty Nawawi Hadiths [Imam An-Nawawi]
In addition, he has written the following books himself:
1. A Brief Guide to the Principles of Tajweed [Published in London by ICC]
2. Inheritance Law of Islam [in press]
3. Selection of Friday Khutbahs [in press] (http://www.iccuk.org/page.php?section=religious&page=khutbas)
4. The Life of the Four Caliphs [in press]